Going Bald


No, I'm not planning to go bald (right now). Watching this clip by Shameless Maya made me think of a lot of things. I'm an emotional hair cutter, I've mentioned it before, that's why I cut bangs last year. When I'm going through something and am about to let go I usually cut my hair short. (Read my post from 2011 on BCing.) It's a form of transition, a way of letting go and starting over. I totally understand why Maya cried when she shaved her hair off. Hair is not just hair, and as women we have a lot of attachments to our hair. It's not just superficial, it's not just about drastically changing your look.

I can't even count the amount of times I've BCed, maybe three or four? But I remember the first time clearly. I had a huge argument with my mother, I must have been about 14 or so and I was very upset (of course I can't remember the topic of the argument anymore). I went into my room, after lots of crying I picked up my scissors and snip snip my long hair was gone. My hair had been long all my life up until this point, down my back long. When I cut my hair that time was also when my mother stopped being involved in my hair care.

I've never shaved my hair. When I was younger I always said I would when I was pregnant, but when I was pregnant with my daughter my life was so upside down that I couldn't deal with the pressure of a bald head. I'm sure I'll go bald one day, I've had 2cm of hair so it's not much of a stretch. I think Maya looks gorgeous with her bald look. She looked fab with her curls too. But she looks more edgy now.

source
Follow Shameless Maya

Comments

Popular Posts