Meet Hairdresser Latoya


My friend Sabrine has been raving about her hair dresser for a while now. Since I am often asked about a hair dresser in my area (and other places in the world mind you) I figured I should find out more about this hair dresser. Next to the lack of accessibility to good hair products there's a great lack in good and knowledgeable hair dressers in Sweden. If you are base in Southern Sweden this may be the hair dresser for you.  

Please introduce yourself!
I am Latoya Dennis and I'm from the beautiful island of Jamaica. I'm a hairdresser by profession. I currently live in Höllviken [SkåneSouthern Sweden] with my family which consists of my two children and husband for the past six years.


At what point in your life did you start being interested in hair and hair care?
As a child growing up in Jamaica it is customary that a young girl learn the art of taking care of ones hair and at the age of 9 I mastered that art. I  lived with my dad who traveled a lot and my step-mother who had not one a clue as to how to treat or maintain my hair. So I found it to be an act of important and necessary to expose myself to the different types of hair chemicals and treatments as a way of enriching my knowledge as to what products had the ability of giving what effect and it is during epoch my love and passion for hair care blossomed.

I started doing frequent visits to the salon and learned the pains and discomfort one feels from hair chemicals and sulfate base hair treatment. This discomfort ranged from scalp irritation to hair and texture damage resulting in reduced hair regrowth and texture changes. I then found out that sulfates are commonly found in not only shampoos, but in many others personal hygiene products. I was compelled to gather more information as to how to takes care of my hair. So my obsession deepened and I became more alert as to what products were being used in my hair because I grew fearsome of these scalp discomfort and predominantly my outward appearance in school.


How long have you been a hairstylist and where did you garner your qualifications?
I have been a hair stylist for over ten (10) years to date. I ascertained my qualifications in Jamaica at the Dell’s school of  Hairdressing and cosmetology in 1999.

Why do you love hair care?
Hair care has always been my passion, a passion that I've had for the beauty industry ever since I was
youngster. It ranged from fixing my friends and family's hair and being able to put a smile on my clients face as they walks out the salon, it gives me a feeling of accomplishment their smile tells me job well done.

Over the years what line of hair care products have you worked with and why?
For the  pass two years I have being working with Nashi Organic hair care products I have found it to be quite consistent, and effective. A large percentage of my clients love and appreciate the result they get from me using it in their hair. It is environmentally friendly, being that has no petroleum based components. An advantage it gives me as the stylist is that it works in all kinds of hair. But I am currently contemplating on trying out another line of products and well, just haven't decide yet..

What are some of  most common problem you see in your clients hair?
As a hairstylist working in a salon I've encounter a plethora of clients with varying hair type, different requirement and personalities. And as unique as everyone is most are faced with similar problems such as; hair loss, split ends, over processed hair, sensitive scalps, hair breakage, dry scalps/greasy hair.

What professional advice would you give people with naturally curly hair?
People with naturally curly hair have different type of curl formations and texture which has a reputation for being the most difficult hair type to manage and maintain. Curly hair tends to be dryer and more prone to damage than other hair textures. So I would advise the use of shampoo/conditioner which is specially designed for damage and dry hair. Most shampoo have similar formulas so it doesn't matter how expensive or cheap they are, one just has to try products until they finally find the one that works wonders for their hair. I would  also advise not to do frequent shampooing, avoid friction of towel drying, and avoid using a blow dryer frequently.

What has been the most awkward comment you've received with regards to your hair?
I moved to Sweden in 2009, and for the first three years of my life here I had deadlock as my everyday hairstyle. The most awkward/craziest moment I've ever experience was when I started studying SFI (Swedish For Immigrant) both teachers and classmates were very curious as to why my hair was rolled into locs. One student asked me if I was born with my hair being in dreads… very hilarious I might add.

Where can we find you online and offline?
One can always reach or find me on
Facebook - Latoya Hair & Fashion
Instagram @studio_salon_latoya
Google+ Latoya Dennis
Website www.latoya.se

And during my offline time one can reach me at
telephone +4676867740
email latoya@latoya.se 
or find me at the salon locates at Kullagrundsgatan 11 Trelleborg

Comments

Popular Posts