Interview: Meet Yaya

Last year I got an email asking me if I wanted to host an event in Stockholm together with two fellow bloggers. That email was the start of Sthlm Loves Curls planning and was sent by Yaya. As I think it's important that we as black women support each other I asked Yaya to answer a few questions for me so you can get to know her better. Be sure to check out her blog and follow her on 
Instagram! 


Meet Yaya
Please introduce yourself!
Hey curl friends and scandinaturals!
My name is Yaya and I'm obsessed with natural hair.

Why did you start blogging? Why hair? 
I started blogging in after much consideration I chose natural hair mainly because I wanted track my hair journey, share tips and also connect with other naturalistas. I'm starting to branch out more on the blog because I get bored easily lol and I want to share more of my other interests on my platform.



What do you love about your hair?
My texture. It was a struggle at first because I never really knew or understood my texture until I went natural. When I stopped relaxing in 2009, I thought my hair was going to grow into a long and thick 3C Afro and when that didn't happen I was left confused lol. Somehow, I must've made the connection that healthy afro only has one type of curl pattern. Now that I've learned (and still learning) the many characteristics of my hair, I've come to love my kinks and coils.



What's your advice for someone who wants to go natural?
Don't put too much expectations on your hair in the beginning stages, if you do, you would only set yourself up for failure. Trust me I've been there, it only sets you back.
Focus on the health of your hair rather than length and thickness. And lastly, it's an ongoing process, so be patient and learn what works for you.

List your three favorite products and why.
Shea butter from the motherland *raised hands emoji* because it gives life. To my hair that is. Rose water is everything with amazing nutrients and benefits. I use it daily as a spritzer. I also use it to clean my scalp when I'm in braids.
Another product that I like is the Alikay Naturals Lemongrass Leave-in conditioner. It worked so well with my hair and smelled delicious! I've ran out now and unfortunately it's not available anywhere close. (Paying shipping that cost more than product is a no-no!) 


What's the craziest comment you've received in regards to your hair? 
Because I wear my hair in braids quite often, people assume I don't wash my hair. That comment/question irks me.

Where can we find you online? 
Blog: neoroots.blogspot.com Keep an eye out for upcoming posts
IG: @neoroots.se that's where I'm most active at the moment.



Comments

Popular Posts