The Effect of Hair Style

Have you ever changed your hair style, walked down the street and realize people are looking at you differently? Or that a different type of man is giving you attention?
This has been discussed plenty of times between me and my friends. It's sometimes funny, sometimes insulting. 
I decided to write down some of my experiences in Sweden - I've noticed that depending on which country I'm in the reactions also vary. 

For an example when I wear my hair in it's regular state (loose) people might smile at me in the street or stare. Men that look my way vary in race. 

When I wear my hair straight white people are generally friendlier to me and more white men look my way. Maybe not a huge surprise, straight hair is after all still the standard of beauty. 

When my hair is in a head wrap I get the occasional "Hello African Queen" by black men (mostly men with locs). I've also noticed that white men never look at me when I wear a headwrap, and I get treated differently in general. I think this may have to do with the fact that some think I'm wearing a hijab - which makes me think of how Muslim women get to deal with a lot of sh*t because they wear an hijab. 

Have you noticed that you are treated differently because of your hair style? Please share your experiences in the comment section! 


Cute couple 

Comments

Popular Posts