Dee from Ms Kay Dee


Please introduce yourself! 
Hi I'm Dee and I'm a Natural Hair, Life & Style blogger over at www.msdeekay.com and at msdkeeya2012 on youtube. And I've been living in Stockholm, Sweden for about 5 years now.

When did you go natural and why?
I officially went natural towards the end of 2008. I first started "transitioning" and doing my own hair because going to salons was an expensive habit at the time. I had just graduated and was looking for a job and couldn't afford to spend the money on other people taking care of my hair. At the time I had no knowledge of the natural hair community, shortly after I was expecting my first child and had some health issues and decided to live a more natural lifestyle watching what goes into my body externally and internally. As I researched how to take care of my own hair on youtube, I stumbled upon videos of other naturals sharing their own journeys and it inspired me and helped me learn a lot about taking care of my own hair.

What is the biggest struggle when it comes to having natural hair/afro hair in Sweden?  
Personally, the biggest challenge about having natural hair in Sweden is not being able to easily access natural hair care products. I usually have to order most of my products online and this limits my choices. I also have to make sure I plan when I order my products to make sure I have all my products on hand and dont run out. I sometimes wish that some natural hair care products were easily available on the ground.

What is your favorite product? 
Wow this is a hard one because I don't have one favorite. But if I had to choose I would have to say clay, I currently use the Aztec Bentonite Clay as my deep cleanse/detox on my hair. I also love the Kinky Curly conditioner and custard and the Tresemme Naturals Radiant Volume Conditioner.

When did it start blogging/vlogging and why? 
I started my blog and youtube channel around the same time in Nov 2012, I was expecting my second child and I felt like it was a great hobby to keep me busy as I was waiting for the baby's "arrival". Also it had been a tough year and I decided I wanted a change, I wanted to force myself to get out of my comfort zone and do something that I normally wouldn't do like "exposing" part of my life online. I had been following a lot of YouTube channels and blogs for years, so it was only natural for me to start a YouTube channel and blog myself.

If you could give newly naturals advice, what would it be? 
Don't focus on the "destination" whatever that may be, don't compare your journey to others. Just try to learn your hair as much as you can while enjoying your own hair journey no matter what phase you're at. When it comes to taking care of your hair focus on getting your hair adequately moisturized and have fun. With patience and consistency your hair will thrive.

What's the craziest comment you've received in regards to your hair? 
Actually I haven't really received any crazy comments about my hair. Its usually either positive or no comments at all. I guess if people have crazy thoughts they have never said them to me out loud LOL

Where can we find you online?
I'm everywhere LOL

Comments

Popular Posts