Hair Love!

Last night I watched this clip on YouTube by Tracee Ellis Ross that had me nodding my head and talking back to my iPhone. Tracee  is somewhat of an icon in the natural hair community world wide. There are always pictures of her floating around wearing different styles. If you don't know who she is, where have you been? ;)

She also means something for me personally, as I loved watching Girlfriends when I lived in the States (re-watched all the seasons a few months back) and was so happy to see someone with "my type of hair" on TV. On the show she wore her hair natural, big and poofy, sometimes in a bun, sometimes blown out, but it was always natural and I was so excited about that.


One thing I can really relate to is how she says because she's biracial people assume that her hair is a certain way. But like she said she went through the same thing most naturals do, a journey. It doesn't matter if we are of mixed heritage or not, most of us didn't grow up knowing how to care for our hair. For me it was the same. I had no clue how to care for my hair growing up, I didn't figure this out until I was 27 years old. So for 27 years I've had a difficult relationship with my hair, a relationship without love. So never assume that someone with a certain "hair type" has had a easier journey than you, we all have to go through what we go through to figure out our own hair. It's about getting to know your own hair, understanding it and loving it, nothing else.

Can't wait to see the responses to Tracee's Hair Love! and what she does with them.
Follow her on YouTubeTwitter or Instagram!

Comments

  1. Love her hair. & learning to love my hair... :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Love is something that grows and has to be nurtured to do so ;)

      Delete

Post a Comment

Feel free to comment on the posts!
Join in the conversation!

Popular Posts