Coconut Oil

People have been raving about Coconut Oil in the natural hair community for the longest time, so I know I'm totally late to the party, but... Coconut Oil! :)


To be honest I assumed that is wouldn't work for my hair, just like Olive Oil that is way too heavy for my hair and for this reason I stayed away. If I knew then what I know now! My hair loves Coconut Oil! It's become one of my fav oils for many reasons. It's easy to find, in Sweden you can buy unrefined Coconut Oil in most grocery stores, some organic some not. You can also buy it in every health food store basically. It's fairly cheap, depending on where you buy it. A little goes a long way! And it's multipurpose, which is awesome!

Why is Coconut Oil so great? Because it's the only oil the can penetrate the hair shaft. Yes, you got it right, all the other oils sit on top of your hair, but Coconut Oil actually successfully penetrates the hair shaft.

What can you use it for? Everything! Hot Oil treatments, to seal your hair, to detangle your hair, in home made hair butters and other mixes. And it's great on your skin too!
Solidifies in colder temperatures

I use Coconut Oil mainly when I detangle my hair, which is usually done the night before my wash. I've also used it as a sealant a few times. My biggest issue is that I don't like the scent, so I usually stay away from products with a coconut scent. The oil I can deal with, but not on a daily basis. My love for the oil does however win over the feeling of not liking the scent.

Love this pic from Naturally Curly

For more great uses of Coconut Oil check out this post on Hybrid Rasta Mama!

Comments

  1. I like coconut oil, but yes, it has a strong smell.

    I remember when I was a teen my friend picked up a hair butter for me, with coconut from The Body Shop. I think it was the first afro/curly product I had been introduced to, but I didn't know how to use it. And the smell...the smell was so distinguished (!!)

    As an adult I have tried using coconut oil in my hair, but because of my low hair porosity, I can't use very much, or my hair just gets really sticky. So for me, a little goes a long way.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Feel free to comment on the posts!
Join in the conversation!

Popular Posts