Natural Hair and Professional Life

There is always an ongoing discussion in the natural hair community about how naturally curly hair is perceived in the work place. The American natural hair community always speaks about how difficult it is to have a natural hair style (vs. a relaxed style) in cooperate America. This has made me wonder how Sweden (and Scandinavia) deals with this in a work setting. America has a large black population, and no one can deny the struggles black people have had to endure to be seen as equals under the law. That racism exists in the US is something I doubt any American in their right mind would deny. But the Scandinavian countries have small black/African populations, and the Scandinavian countries are quick to deny any type of racism present in the past or current time.

I just read this article linked to by Wisaal at Wiscellaneous. And these lines popped out at me:

"Each time a person is questioned about their hairstyle, they are casually reminded that it is different and not the norm. Not once has anyone asked me about how I “get my hair that way” when it is straightened. During an interview, an African-American woman with straightened hair is confident in the knowledge that her hair is not a factor in the interviewer’s thoughts because we have all bought into the idea that straightened hair is acceptable. Curly, kinky and braided hair is not."
Is Your 'Natural' Hairstyle Preventing You from Getting a Job?
I think in Sweden the issue of hair style is overshadowed by the issue of race. I don't think the way you wear your hair (straight or natural) has as big of an effect on your chance to get a job as you ethnicity does. Here you won't get hired because you are black/African (=considered to be an immigrant), regardless the job or qualifications if they don't want a black person in the position there won't be. What I do think adds to the sense of you being black/African is if you wear your hair in a non-straight style (braids, cornrows, 'fro, etc), and depending on if the person interviewing you (who probably is white) wants to be able relate to you (straight hair does make white people feel like they need to ask about your hair as stated above) or if they want to "exotify" you (non-straight styles are often seen as exotic, funky, fun, edgy etc). I have seen a various amount of black women and men with natural hair in jobs that relate to fashion (boutiques, department stores, models, etc) I've yet to meet a man with a suit or a woman with a pants suit sporting a big fro (read:combed out a la 70's), locs or any other natural hair style. Is that because there are few black people in suits in Sweden (meaning few black people in cooperate jobs) or is it because they couldn't get away with wearing their hair natural in a cooperate setting? I know what I think... What are your thoughts?

Comments

  1. Anonymous8/4/13 22:30

    I think a bit of both, at least here in Norway where I live. Few blacks in corporate jobs, and many thinking their natural hair won't be perceived corporate enough.
    Whether their fears are justified, I have my doubts. I have a little twa that I wear in summer time but in the cold months, I go by pick and drop's, braids or a big baduesque afro. I have never gotten anything than positive feedback from my colleagues or from work accointances, if they thought anything bad, they kept it to themselves and that is their right. Of course in the beginning it creates a lot of curiosity, but I think that it is pedagogical. We should break the mentally established codes and stop thinking that straight is corporate. There are as elegant ways of wearing curly/kinky hair as there are for straight hair, and it all starts with the person's attitude.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your comment! It is nice to get some input from a fellow Scandinavian in another country ;)

      Delete
  2. I also live in Sweden, i can sport whatever hairstyle I want at work. I dont think i Ever have been decclined a job dur to My darker skin. I think that the biggest issue for immigrants are the languqge. Language is culture and language is imvolvement. If you dont speak the language properly, you wont be able to be as involved in aworkplace as might be expected. On the other hand, it is difficult to learn a language properly if you are not in an environment where the target language is spoken. So it is a catch 22 situation.

    But to answer your main question, i have never felt My job prevented me from having the hairstyle i wanted. I Think that is very american.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your comment! Yes, I agree, language is a big issue when it comes to being a part of the Swedish society. And immigrants struggle a lot to become a part of Swedish society still, especially people of color.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Feel free to comment on the posts!
Join in the conversation!

Popular Posts