Having Naturally Curly Hair in Sweden: Arcadia

I was recently invited to a Facebook group where Swedish moms with adopted children from African countries talk hair. One of these moms is Fiona, who posted a pic of her beautiful daughter Arcadia who had done two strand twists accessorized with a scarf. I was so happy and inspired to see someone young who was loving their hair that I wanted to feature her on the blog, and she agreed! Here she is! :) 



Introducing myself!
My name is Arcadia and I'm 11 years old. I love my hair! I also like riding and singing and dancing. I go to a music school in Stockholm and live in Vallentuna with my little brother, my dog Oscar, my mum and my dad.
What do you like most about your hair? 
I like everything about my hair except when I have those tangly days, but I get through them. I'm pretty good at detangling my own hair, according to my mum. I like my curl pattern and the fact that I can have lots of cool styles.
What is your favorite style to wear you hair? 
I like it loose in an afro; in a bun or some kind of up-do; and I like twists with a bow.
Which products do you like? 
I like Curly Qs, shea butter (but not the smell), coconut oil and Jessicurl Too Shea.
Who do you watch on YouTube? 
I watch Peeks at Noam Network and Naptural 85. I also surf a lot and watch different hair videos.
Who is your natural hair role model? 
All those who wear their natural hair with joy are my role models.
Is there anything you would like to try to do with your hair that you haven't tried yet?
I'd love to get all my hair up into a bun, but it's not long enough yet. My goal is to grow my hair longer and keep it healthy, and inspire other people to love their natural hair.
What do your friends at school think about your hair?
My friends think my hair is really cool as I can have so many hairstyles.
If you could say something to other girls out there that are your age and don't like their hair or don't know what to do about their hair what would you say? 
There's no bad hair - there's just different kinds of hair. My hair motto is: You don't have to be an expert on hair - just an expert on your own hair. That means experimenting and seeing what works for you.
People told me (and my mum) that I wouldn't be able to look after my natural hair. But it's not that difficult if you have the knowledge, the time and the right products. And I would also say: Remember that your hair is beautiful. Don't tell yourself otherwise!

Thank you for participating and inspiring us!

Comments

  1. Thank you for doing this post so well! Love it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wonderful interview with a charming and sensitive young lady!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I loved to read about your hair and as a fellow curly haired woman I know how our bad hair days when it all frizzes instead of curls can drive us mad.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Feel free to comment on the posts!
Join in the conversation!

Popular Posts