Hair Crush: Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie


Yesterday I attended a conference in Uppsala held to celebrate the 50th anniversary of the Nordic Africa Institute. I went there just to attend the key note speech by Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie (who I've done a short post on here). She is one of my favorite authors, and seems to be a very strong and articulate woman. She spoke about her Nigeria and also linked it to the African continent. She started her speech speaking about where she grew up and her father, she then drew it into a wider picture of the country, the history, linked it together with her books, and stereotypes about Africa. She really knows how to speak in front of a crowd, she spoke calmly and made us laugh a few times. Of course I got my copy That Thing Around Your Neck signed, and completed her on her hair. ;)

She had a kind of very small cornrows that turned into kinky twists that seemed to be twisted around each other to make the big bun in top of her head. I loved the style! I have been thinking about getting Senegalese twists now for a while, but her style made me think maybe I should try kinky twists ;)

Anyway, this was one of my better experiences in life! I'm so happy I got to hear her speak. And so excited to find out her next book is due in April, yay! :)

Comments

Popular Posts