Silver-Straw's Journey to Locs

Finally Silver-Straw is back, as promised, talking hair. :) In late October 2011 he begun a journey toward locs. Now for those of you who think that locs are easy to maintain, a no fuss hair do, think again. All those gorgeous men and women with long locs down to their backs they have done years and years of caring for their hair. The journey from baby locs to mature locs takes a lot of time, patience and commitment.

So to start the follow up on Silver-Straw's hair journey I had him answer some questions and send me some pics. This brave man took it upon himself to start his locs. Not what the average loc-bearer may recommend, but hey, if you are brave enough, go for it! 
Before the locs
Freshly locked
Baby locs
Why did you decide to loc your hair?
I’ve always loved locs and knew that I eventually would loc my hair when the time was right.  And I feel that it’s the right time now.

How did you prepare for your hair to get locked?
My hair locs really easy, so all I did was to wash it thoroughly, dried it, massaged in my daily leave in conditioner and started twisting my locs.

What technique did you use to loc your hair?
I did my own technique that you could call ”twistcornrow” : ) I start out with 2 strands of hair like you do when doing twists,  but instead of just twisting I  took a little hair from one strand for every twist.

How do you plan to maintain your locs?
Well after all the information I’ve received from hair of heritage, I plan to make sure that my hair stays moisturized so it doesn’t brake.  I will re-twist the locs once a month and also make sure to cover my hair with a do-rag before going to bed, that’s until I get a dread sock. Thanks for the info N!

What's your goal when it comes to your locs?
I want my locs to reach at least shoulder length so that I can wear them I different styles. But my main goal is to wear my hair in one of the most natural styles for it. And that is also one of the reasons that I choose to loc it myself.

Have you received any comments on your hair since you locked? What did they say?
Yes I’ve received a lot of positive comments on the locs already, some saying that  the style really fits me. But I’ve also received less positive and more funny comments like, you are a clean boy and having locs doesn’t make you look as clean. : )

Check out Silver-Straw's latest song called Love Scar
Is it just me or does it look like that HUGE red heart is really annoying him? ;) 

 His music can be found on Spotify and MediaFire were you can 
download his whole album  UG-Ras Sound for free.


Thank you for answering the questions, we look forward to a 6 month follow up. Just answer my questions a little faster next time, ok? ;)

Comments

Popular Posts