Protecting Your Hair at Night


How do you protect your hair at night? 
There are different ways to protect your hair while you sleep. The routines vary, but the opinion that you should protect your hair at night seems to be spread all over the natural hair community. 

Why? Well 'cause sleeping on a cotton pillow dries out your hair. The cotton from the pillow sucks the moisture out of your hair. And you know: moisture is key to healthy curls. So sleeping on a silk or satin pillow is something lots of naturals swear by. 

Now I'd be lying if I said I sleep on a silk or satin pillow. But, what I do, which a lot of naturals do, is wrap my hair at night. I have three options when it comes to protecting my hair at night. The reason why I have three is because I wanted to try different things to figure out what works best for me. 

I started with buying a silk scarf. Now I use my silk scarf mostly when I've done cornrowed hair styles. I feel its easier to wrap it tight around my head, which I prefer when I have cornrows. I bought mine for a decent price on Tradera. Since I was going to wear it to bed I didn't really care what it looked like.


Then I bought a satin bonnet on British Curlies. My hair was still pretty short at the time and it covered my hair perfectly. My curls are starting to out grow it, so I might have to buy a bigger one in the near future. I bought the one with an elastic ben around there hair line and I think it stays in place well. When I do head wraps I wear this bonnet underneath since all my scafs are cotton, which dry out the hair.


 And the last thing I bought was the Sue Maesta Hood (I think that's what it's called). It looks like an old stocking (and if you look on YouTube there are tips how to make your own!) What I like about it is that is covers my entire hair, it stays in place and when I take it off all I have to do is shake my hair out and it looks like I never slept (ok, once in a while I'll spray it with some water, but most of the time, nothing). I'll try to remember to take some pics next time I use it. (I know it's kinda hard to see what it looks like on this pic)


Comments

  1. Cool:) This is what we talked about. Where can you get the Sue Maesta Hood?

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Feel free to comment on the posts!
Join in the conversation!

Popular Posts