Braids - So 90's

So... I feel tremedous pressure to write now that I'm doing this 30 day challange, but my mind is blank... damn! Well...

When I first starting doing my own hair I was around 11 or 12 years old, I was so sick of having ugly hair styles, I dreamed of having hair styles like the dark skinned girls on TV. I loved watching Moesha in the 90's. I think I got my first braids when I was... Can't remember, maybe 12 or 13 years old? I loved how they were all down to my back and I could just casually put them up pineapple style in my head. I can't even remeber who braided me, probably a friend of a friend's mom or something. I think I had braids like 4 or 5 times in the 90's. It was the closest I could get to straight hair without having a relaxer.

So this blog post is a trip down memory lane...


One of my favorite movies growing up was Set It Off, I watche it probably like 200 times. I loved the powerful women taking their destinies into their own hands. I loved Jada Pinkett with her braids, I thought she was so pretty in her braids.


And how pretty was Janet Jackson in Poetic Justice? Of course I wanted to look like them!





My friend and I were thinking about it and we didn't have a lot of women to look up to back in the day. Not only when it comes to relating to hair, but just being dark skinned growing up in light skinned societies.
So thanks to all the braided beauties of the 90's :)

Comments

Popular Posts