The Afro

Today me and my friend were walking down the street close to my house, there is a hair salon... There are lots of hair salons in my area. But this salon has a lady working there that looks mixed or Latin American. And, she has a big 'FRO. Now this might not seem like a big deal to most people, but in my neighborhood it kinda is. All the times I have passed her salon she had middle aged Swedish ladies sitting in her chair, with straight hair on whatever color. In the three years I have lived her I have never once seen a dak skinned lady in her chair. This might be cause it's not a "Afro Hair Salon" or because I live in a country (and area) that's predominantly Swedish aka straight haired.
Rocking a 'fro to me is always something I have great respect for. People that carry the 'fro with grace and cool are amazing. There's a lot of history attached to the Afro, even though it's not quite the political statement it was in the 70's. Still when you rock the 'fro you still have to have enough self confidence to walk down the street with your head held high.

Diana Ross rocking a 'fro
I never had enough confidence to comb out my curls and rock a 'fro, but to everyone that does; good for you!

Comments

Popular Posts