Compliments

Growing up in Sweden with curly hair has been both fun and frustrating. People have always seemed to be fasinated by my curls, and without asking I will feel someone grabbing my hair at times. This often leaves me feeling a bit insulted, I mean at least ask if you can touch my hair. I don't mind people touching my hair, most days, I'd just like to be asked. It's kind of like being pregnant, you know how people are drawn to that bulging baby bump and touch it without asking. I mean you wouldn't just reach out and touch anyone's belly, right?


Today I was talking to an acquintance and in the middle of the conversation he says, from nowhere: "You hair looks great, by the way." I was very happy to recieve a spontanous compliment like that, especially since giving compliments isn't really done regularly in Sweden. This is not the first time this happens in the last couple of months, and it maked me feel good. Not 'cause I need to be showered with compliments, but because they feel sincere. And are not followed by "Oh, thank you, but having curly hair sucks." Yes, I admit, I used to reply like that. As if curly hair was some kind of curse. But now I feel so different about my hair, and wouldn't want to have it any other way. So now when I recieve a compliment about my hair, I can ginuely say thank you, and feel proud of every curl, kink and frizz on my head. :) I do love my hair.

Comments

Popular Posts